Biogas Plants and Utilising Biogas

Landfill Gases

The biodegradable waste in a landfill creates methane and carbon dioxide. The gases damage the atmosphere and must therefore be collected securely.

This also reduces the smell nuisance. The landfill gas treatment plant measures and analyses the gases, removes condensation water and has at least a torch burner for the disposal of gases. The energy contained in the gas can also be utilised in many different ways.

 

Utilising Biogas as Heat and Electricity

The methane contained in biogas can be burned with an appropriate burner, thus producing hot water or steam. Up to approximately 90% of the energy contained in the gas can thereby be utilised. By using biogas as gas motor fuel, a generator attached to the motor can utilise up to 35% of the energy contained in the gas as electricity. By recovering the heat from the motor’s cooling water and exhaust fumes, approximately 50% of the energy contained in the gas can also be utilised as heat, i.e. a total of approximately 85%.  

We supply biogas boiler plants and gas motor plants as turnkey deliveries.

 

Biogas Pre-treatment

During pre-treatment, moisture is separated and the largest impurities are filtered from the gas. Different kinds of gas analysis and measurement methods are normally included in the delivery.

 

Sludge Treatment Plants

Waste treatment creates refinery sludge, which is condensed and dried mechanically or thermally. In certain cases the sludge is decomposed after being condensed. The volume of sludge decreases during decomposition and its drying properties improve.

Decomposition creates biogas, which contains 60-67% of methane, with the rest being carbon dioxide.

The refinery sludge generates approximately 400 dm3 of biogas/1 kg of dry material.

The average heat value of biogas is 6.0 kWh/m3.

Construction of Kokkola Biogas Plant, Finland

Oy Pohjanmaan Biokaasu - Österbottens Biogas Ab

2011 - 2012

The biogas plant was constructed for solid waste treatment. The Contract included all the works related to the construction of a biogas plant: area works, construction works, HVAC-works, piping works, mechanical and electrical works, and instrumentation.

Econet Ltd acted as a subcontractor and its scope included supply and installation of piping, mechanical and electrical equipment, HVAC and instrumentation.

The biogas is utilized in gas engines to produce heat and electricity. 
The dried sludge is further composted and applied in landscaping.

Municipal sludge:

33 250 t/a

Septic Tank Sludge: 45 000 t/a
Industrial Sludge:

4 000 t/a

Biogas:

1 200 000 m3/a

Electricity: 2 800 MWh/a
Heat:

3 000 MWh/a

Leave a contact request